Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Training own DAD vs. getting a trained DAD

Posted by Ksmiley4 
Training own DAD vs. getting a trained DAD
September 26, 2012 05:49PM
I have had Type 1 diabetes since I was 3 years old. I am interested in getting a DAD now that I am living on my own. I am interested in training my own DAD. Does anyone have any advice on what to do and pros and cons to training my own versus getting a trained DAD?

Thanks!
Re: Training own DAD vs. getting a trained DAD
September 28, 2012 09:50PM
If you have a FB page, you can go to [www.facebook.com]. this is a group for DAD'd. Will give you everything you need to know
September 29, 2012 11:36AM
What a great group!!! Wish I would have found it SOONER!!! winking smiley

Donna, Zakk and Golden Doodle Annie
AKA: Awesome Annie a D.A.D. with A Service Dog Trainer Scott Smith
October 17, 2012 08:23AM
Cost is the biggest factor,
Either way, you have to be prepared to train. Even the trained dog needs constant refreshing in all 3 areas: obedience, public access, scent.
It all depends on whether you want to start the dog or just maintain the dog. My first dog was trained. I've enhanced the training by adding other "buttons" while I maintain the training. My next dog will be a scent imprinted pup. Now that I have worked with my dog for 3 years and have gone to workshops and further training classes, I feel much more prepared to start a dog and do it right.
Lots of people have started their first dog themselves. Hard work and persistence pays off.
smiling smiley

Michelle Dutoit, NBCT T1 and T2, hyper and hypo unaware
DAD partner, Lucas
November 07, 2012 08:15PM
How do you join/get invited to this Facebook group? I'd love to join but the group is closed sad smiley
November 07, 2012 09:11PM
Any of the current members can add you and then one of the admin's has to approve. If you are friends with anyone in the group, have them add you. If you aren't friends with anyone yet, let me know your name on Facebook and I would be happy to add you.

Brenda
Coach of Laura and Daisy (Tidewater K-9/CARES)
November 08, 2012 08:19AM
Brenda -

I'm working with Scott Smith who will be training a "starter" dog for me and I, too, would like to be a member of the facebook group. I love this forum but there is no way for us to send private messages to each other and I'm not crazy about posting my email address in a public forum. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave
November 08, 2012 07:56PM
Well, this does pose a challenge! For you, Dave, go to Scott's FB page (A Service Dog Trainer). There is a picture of you posted there and I "liked" it. From there you can send me a friend request and I can add you from there to the DAD FB group. Hope that works!

Brenda
September 16, 2013 04:30PM
Brenda, I'm just getting started in my search for informations regarding DADs, and I really feel like the Facebook group would be an amazing resource; would you mind adding me as well?
September 17, 2013 09:53AM
You will need to friend request me on Face Book first so I can add you to the group. Search for Brenda Cole Pearlman.

Brenda
September 17, 2013 12:42PM
Thanks so much Brenda. I just sent the request. My first name is Anna (my user name here is my JDRF walk team winking smiley)
October 02, 2013 11:18AM
My Facebook name is BekahIsDone and I would like to be added to the Facebook page. I sent a request to join.
October 07, 2013 04:29PM
Hi, I am new to this forum and mom to my 11 year old son, newly diagnosed Type 1 (last month). We are interested in someday getting an alert dog, but with two older children in college, braces for 11 year old planned, and now the medical expenses, we will have to plan for this to take a few years (if ever). In addition, I currently have three dogs, though all old. Our Japanese chins, though playful as puppies, are at the end of their life expectancies - 10 and 12 yrs. My "beagle-dor" mutt is also 10 yrs, though she also is in great health. We are prepared, however, that the next few years will see our dogs over the "Rainbow Bridge". If we were to get another dog, I'd like it to be an alert dog. The Beagle-dor has a great nose, but I fear not the right personality, though I might give her a try in the meantime for practice.

I would likely have to train one myself for cost reasons, and I have some training experience with obedience only. I have seen opportunities with organizations such as ServiceDogAcademy, online videos, etc. I am willing to work hard. Oh, and we have always homeschooled, so taking the dog to school not an issue.

Here is my question: If I do research, find a great puppy, and train myself, how do you qualify the dog to wear the vest and be legally a service dog? Do you have to test with an organization or can you just announce your dog is now alerting and is a service dog?
October 09, 2013 05:09AM
Brenda, I sent a FB friend request to you to get added to the FB page for DADs. Cathy Matthai Alger
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login